A Galaxy S3 user in Ireland posted images of his handset in a forum yesterday that showed burns along the bottom of the device that were reportedly cause by a white flame bursting out of it.
The forum user, whose online name is dillo2k10, stated that his smartphone was sitting in a "car mount when suddenly a white flame sparks and a bang came out of the phone" in the post.
This accident caused the Galaxy S3 to burn from the inside out and melted its case, but it still worked afterwards even though the signal was lost.
"The phone was destroyed and it slightly burned a piece of plastic on the inside of my car," said the person in the post. "And they are refusing to give me a replacement; they had to send it off. Probably nothing I can do, but I'm really annoyed. That could have burned the side of my face or through my pocket and my leg, or set fire to my bed. It's very dangerous."
Samsung issued a statement this week promising to investigate the claim and get to the bottom of what seems to be an overheating of the smartphone.
"There have been recent online posts displaying pictures of a Samsung Galaxy S3 that appears to have heat-related damage at the bottom of the device," said the company on its official blog. "Samsung is aware of this issue and will begin investigating as soon as we receive the specific product in question."
Like us on Facebook
The Galaxy S3 launches in the U.S. this week and this is not the best news for those excited about finally getting their hands on the device.
Freak occurrences with mobile devices such as this one are not uncommon.
Apple has had similar experiences with its iPod.